Lancashire Best Kept Village Competition
It is always a pleasure to see the hard work and endeavour that Lancashire villages and their residents put into the competition. The process and independence of our judging ensures fairness and it is great to see individual effort rewarded in the Certificate of Merit categories.
Competition Winners (2017) [class entrants]
- Champion Village - Blacko (Runner-up - Chipping). 
- Large Village - New Longton (Runner-up - Higher Adlington). 
- Medium Village - Sabden (Runner-up - Mawdesley). 
- Small Village - Grindleton (Runner-up - Clifton). 
- Hamlet - Barley (Runner-up - Roughlee). 
- Most Improved Large Village - Lower Adlington.
- Most Improved Medium Village - Not awarded this year.
- Most Improved Small Village/Hamlet - York.
- Best First-Time Entry - Grindleton.
Certificate of Merit Winners (2017)
- Place of Worship and Grounds.
Winner: Wrea Green - St. Nicholas
Runner-up: Inskip with Sowerby - Inskip Baptist Church
HC: Bilsborrow - St. Hilda's Church
HC: Clifton - St. John's The Evangelist
HC: Croston - St. Michael's and All Angels
- School and grounds (including Children's Nurseries).
Winner: Halsall - St. Cuthbert's
Runner-up: Chipping - St. Mary's
HC: Goosnargh - Oliverson's School
- Village Pub or Inn / Restaurant.
Winner: Barley - Pendle Inn
HC: Halsall - Saracen's Head
- Public Hall, Community Centre, Institute, Library, Health Centre, Youth Centre.
Winner: Grindleton - Grindleton Pavilion
HC: Weeton with Preese - New Village Hall
- Public Playing Field/Sports Ground.
Winner: Chipping - Playing Field
HC: Blacko - Recreation Ground
- Children's Play Area.
Winner: Freckleton - Play Area Memorial Park
HC: Elswick - Play Area
- Industrial or commercial premises.
Winner: Sabden - Specialised Auto Services
Winner: Blacko - Barber's Shop
- Residential / Nursing Home / Sheltered Accommodation.
Winner: Mawdesley - Stocks Hall
- Hotel / Guest House.
Winner: Chipping Gibbon Bridge
- Notice Board.
- War Memorial.
- Bowling Green.
Winner: Sabden - Sabden Crown Green Bowling Club
HC: Hurst - Green Bowling Club
- Cricket Ground and Surrounds.
- Public Garden.
Winner: Preesall & Knott End - Jubilee Garden
HC: Whitworth - Memorial Gardens
Results for the 2019 competition >>> here.
Planning for the 2020 competiton is now underway with the entry form now online (return by 31st March). We look forward to a hearing from and seeing the competiton villages and assessing the 'outstanding features'.
Presentation Event (2019) took place at The Villa 14th Oct where the winners were announced (2019 Results):
Champion Villages 2019:
◆ Champion Village: Higham
◆ Large Village: Freckleton
◆ Medium Village: Mawdesley
◆ Small Village: Bretherton
◆ Hamlet: Wiswell
Thanks to everyone who took part and for the time given by our Judges and Committee. A special thanks to John Gilmore of Radio Lancashire.
In 2019 the 'Constitution of the Competition' was updated and streamlined, simplifying all paperwork used by villages and judges; the Certificate of Merit part of the competition was overhauled, replaced by a secondary competition called 'Outstanding Features' - villages entering the main competition able to nominate up to 10 Outstanding Features of their village, and certificates awarded to the best in each class.
'10 Lancashire villages that you should visit' - Lancashire Life (article)
Did you know there are regional best kept village competitions across the United Kingdom?
Our thanks to our sponsors: The Villa, Wrea Green; Lancashire Life; Lancashire Association of Local Councils; Ribble Valley Borough Council. We are grateful too for the support of a number of Lancashire County Councillors.